Lately, you have heard me encourage you to “Dance With Janet” at this or that event. As a group, we have performed for an audience as well as line danced for fun at concerts. Why have I asked you to do this? Why perform, anyway? If you have ever mentally or physically shaken your head at me when you’ve heard me invite you to participate, let me explain the why of it.
Many people have never heard of line dancing, much less seen it. They may have heard of square dancing, clogging, ballroom dancing, or Dancing With The Stars, but the concept of a bunch of people going out in the evening “somewhere”, dancing “whatever”, is completely unknown to them. Plus, most adults think dancing is for kids in dance studios, skinny ballerinas on the stage, or couples dressed to the nines in the movies or on TV. They simply don’t know dancing is available to them on a “normal” social level, with people who look just like they do, and are not 23 years old looking perfect. The whole dance culture – which is huge in Chicagoland and in existence all over the WORLD – is foreign to them.
Everyone likes music, and people instinctively move to music. Most would like a little more knowledge of how to do that without hurting their backs, and that’s what we can demonstrate. We look like normal people having a blast, which is what they are, and that’s who our audience is, and what they like to do too. Witness all the people on the sidelines at parades bopping around to the music they hear as each act goes by them! I’ve seen countless adults watch us with amazed looks on their faces. They simply had no idea our way of dancing – which looks totally doable, even to the untrained eye – exists! And near them? Unbelievable!
THAT is why we perform…why I ask you to join me…and why I am willing to sweat so much in the heat of a hot summer day. I’m not a summer girl; I was raised in air-conditioned comfort, and I like it that way. But YOU have inspired ME. I’ve seen thousands of people in my classrooms who look uncertain and unsure of what they are getting into, and watched them screw up their courage and get mentally uncomfortable as they learn to dance with me. The least I can do is screw up MY courage, and get physically uncomfortable in return. By performing, we show those who have yet to show up for lessons that dancing on a level they can relate to IS available to them when they are ready to pursue it. We not only brighten their days, but we give them hope.
And so I will continue to sweat with you!! Thank you for joining me!!
SUMMER DANCE DETAILS:
- Our four parades (Memorial Day, Swedish Days, and the 3rd & 4th of July Parades) have wrapped. It wasn’t that hard, was it?? Special thanks go to Chauffeur Keith for driving our music truck, and to Tom and John for lending us the truck!!
- Keep an eye out for when we will be dancing at different festivals, so you can join us for line dancing led by the DWJ team. Our upcoming official appearances are at CANTIGNY on Sunday, August 5th, with the Second Time Around band, and the West Chicago Pool on August 26th
- Couples classes will resume in September
- Would YOU like to join the Dance With Janet teaching team, or start teaching wherever you are? I will be offering my exclusive Instructor Training on September 22nd-23rd in the West Chicago, IL area. I’ll only be in-person ONCE this calendar year, so be sure to grab this opportunity while it’s here! Visit www.dancewithjanet.com/i
nstructor to reserve your spot
- The 2019 Dance With Janet Cruise has been finalized and promises to be the BEST one yet! We sail MARCH 1 – 10, 2019 from Miami, but will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale as a group and taking a group shuttle to the Miami port. At only $80/night (including lodging, all-you-can-eat food, taxes & port charges, and visits to the A-B-C Islands), it’s unbeatable in price OR destinations!! Catch all the details at www.dancewithjanet.com/cruise2019; Harlan is accepting reservations (our room block is MORE THAN HALF FULL)!! I have a couple of people in the queue who are looking for roommates, so if you might be too, let’s talk!
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the OVER 24,000 fans who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/dancewithjanet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page, as well as the PHOTOS tab of my website
See you on the dance floor – you are loved!!