Any time a group of people gets together, the possibility for conflict increases. We all have opinions, and they all matter. It’s a free country. However…HOWEVER!!! That does not mean we all want to hear each others’ opinions – especially if they’re negative. That kind of conversation is really complaining & gossiping, which, while entertaining, is not fruitful, but divisive. Before you speak, think of what you are saying. Is it edifying? Is it as positive as possible? If not – is it really necessary to say? And this has nothing to do with “little ears listening” – this has to do with our ATTITUDES. Our attitudes are contagious – is YOURS worth catching?
Do you see what’s coming?
The BIGGEST issue for dancers is a venue in which to dance. A DJ, instructor, and dancers do not a successful dance create – for without a dance floor, there is no dance. We are blessed to have multiple dance halls available for us in the Chicagoland area, and one of them is Cadillac Ranch. The Ranch has been around for 22 years and as such has quite a history. Like Willowbrook Ballroom, the Ranch is often referred to in conversations containing the words, “The Good Ol’ Days”. I understand that, in multiple areas; I was there. But life changes, and for our emotional health, we need to change with it. Let’s support the venues where we choose to dance – by paying the cover charge requested, attending when they are open, and not comparing the present to the past. Only that way will our dance halls REMAIN open. Remember – they are doing US a favor by renting us their facility (that’s what a cover charge is!) so we can enjoy our favorite hobby. Let’s not bite the hands that feed us!!
Our life attitudes are obvious by what we say, and how we say it. Take care…the world is watching!
- I teach at Cadillac Ranch (www.cadranch.com) on TUESDAYS & FRIDAYS. TONIGHT, FRIDAY 1/29, I’ll be teaching HOLLER BACK, CHERRY BOMB, & ONE STEP FORWARD. Doors open at 7 and we’ll start lessons at 7:30, with a $3 cover charge. Cadillac Ranch is no longer presenting live bands on Fridays. TUESDAY 1/26, lessons are DOUBLE D at 7:30 & DRINK MY WAY OUT at 8:30. See you there!!
- Our next Warrenville Dances are SATURDAY, February 6th (7-10 pm) & SUNDAY, February 14th – VALENTINE’S DAY!! – (6-9 pm), at the Warrenville Community Building, 3S240 Warren Ave. Saturday’s dance will be all lines; couples are always welcome to dance around the perimeter ($5 cover includes 2 line dance lessons, at 7:30 & 8:30; you’re welcome to bring snacks). Dance alternating sets of Couples and Lines at Sunday Nite Country on the 14th ($5 admission; dinner served from 5:30 – 7 for $5)
- Warrenville’s Saturday 5 pm class will meet for the last time on 4/9/16. If you have any unused punches on your punch card, please use them up before then, as this class at this time will no longer be offered after 4/9
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the THOUSANDS who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/ dancewithjanet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page.
- The Dance With Janet Cruise is SOLD OUT. Call Harlan at 630-334-4646 if you’d still like to attend. He may be able to secure a cabin for you, but it will be at the going rate
- Lessons & open dance schedule and other details can be found at www.dancewithjanet.com/ cruise2016
- Classes will not meet the week of the cruise (2/19 – 2/27), and my daughter Kat will teach for me at Cadillac Ranch while I’m gone
- The next DANCE WORKSHOP (aka Boot Camp) is scheduled for MARCH 13. I’ll be teaching line dances, and Gary will be teaching couples classes. Mark your calendars!
See you on the dance floor!