The countdown is on for the 4th Annual Dance With Janet Cruise, big time. I'm scheduled to be picked up to go to the airport in the middle of Wednesday night at 3 am…wonder if I'll be too excited to sleep, or not?
About 80 of us will be heading down to Miami to sail on Royal Caribbean's newly renovated Navigator of the Seas till March 10, and to say we are anxious to escape the delightful winter weather of Chicago is an understatement. I heard it's only a few weeks till spring here – I am so anxious for it to be SUMMER in a few DAYS!!! Although you'll see posts on the DWJ Facebook & Instagram pages during the cruise, and I'll be available by text & email, you probably won't see an email like this from me until our return. We've just got so much dancing and sightseeing to do in the Southern Caribbean, you see!!
Before the festivities begin, a reminder that a new session of classes begins TODAY for the classes regularly scheduled Mondays thru Wednesdays. Thursday & Friday classes resume MARCH 14th. Thank you all for taking dance classes with the instructor staff of DWJ this past session; we've all enjoyed sharing our love of dance with you, and we look forward to continuing to do so!!!
Just to clarify: Classes will run through FEBRUARY 27th, and then classes and dances will not meet again until MARCH 11th. The ONLY exceptions are Monday's Elgin and Hanover Park classes; Karen Phillips has graciously offered to lead those groups on that day. Thank you, Karen (and Lynn & Jane)!!
In other news…
1) Thank you for your response to the most recent survey request! I am confident that the responses received accurately represent the group as a whole:
- You want a mixture of new and old-but-forgotten lessons at dances as opposed to no lessons at all
- Assistance is preferred when needed
- Location is more important than liquor being available for purchase
Therefore, it's my pleasure to do as you've requested. The most noticeable change will be that I'll run through intermediate dances too (if needed) at BRIDGE Dances, although I'll call dances much more on the beginner side. Since 75% of the songs played at DWJ dances are split floors (a beginner AND intermediate line dance are danced at the same time), this adjustment will result in the vast majority of people dancing continuously. Bridge Dances will be on the 2nd & 4th Fridays at Tequila Roadhouse & the 3rd Friday of the month at the Geneva American Legion. I'll also be more sensitive to dancers needing a run-through at other "regular" dances.
2) Windy City Line Dance Mania, quite possibly the BEST and BIGGEST line dance convention in the country, is on the radar! I've reserved 6 rooms at the Crowne Plaza in Rosemont (3 people per room; 1 king bed & 1 sofa bed) for 10/10 – 10/13 – three nights. Save the dates for the most fun local get away of the year, and let me know if you plan to spend the weekend overnight at the host hotel!
3) I'm offering my Instructors Training Course in a few weeks, from March 30-31. If you're at all interested in learning how to teach the Dance With Janet way (to teach within my Chicagoland group or elsewhere), please check out this opportunity at http://www.dancewithjanet.
That's it for now; time to finish packing! See you on the dance floor, wherever that may be!