Yesterday I was privileged to be a part of remembering John Mathe’s life. I met John through Betsy on the dance floor, and he accompanied the dance team in our travels during our two years of performing and competing around the country. He sure did enjoy our week in Nashville with almost all the original members of the Cadillac Ranch Dance Team, pictured here at the Nashville Palace restaurant (John is in the front, on the far right – Patrick & Diana are missing). That was a magical trip for me, that’s for sure.
As usual, visitations and memorial services get me thinking on more than one level. I thought today of the fond memories I have of John, and how he was a calming influence on me during dance team events on more than one occasion. I reflected on how people are remembered after their passing. How I am living my life now? Is it in accordance with what I would wish to be said of me when I’m gone? What about you? Talk about thinking ahead…but we never know how far ahead it is, do we?
I also marveled at the friendships that are made on the dance floor. It seems that the community of people that play together as they dance form an incredible bond: about half the people at John’s memorial service were fellow dancers, and even more were at his visitation. I’ve seen that before, as we’ve lost others over the years (when I lost my father, my mom was stunned at the number of people who came to express their condolences to her that she didn’t recognize. I’d say, He [or she] is a dancer, and she’d reply, ANOTHER one??). In this community, Till Death Do We Part applies, without a doubt. If you are looking for long-lasting friendships, look no farther than the dance floor.
It’s hard to lose someone in any way, and at this season, the pain is especially biting. Please keep John’s family (and his love, Betsy) in your prayers this season, as well as the countless others who are grieving. I’m sure we all know by now that the holidays are not all Fa La La La La’s. And if any of you are volunteering at a soup kitchen or in other areas, please let me know…I’d like to be a part of that this year, but I’m not sure where to start. It’s time to give back, isn’t it?
- ALL the Dance With Janet lessons are 25% OFF for the month of December!! Browse through all your choices online at the Dance With Janet Facebook page, eBay, Amazon, and of course www.dancewithjanet.com/
products. Happy Shopping!!
- The Hanover Park Monday class from 1:30 – 2:45 will not meet this Monday 12/7 or next Monday 12/14. Class will resume Monday 12/21.
- I teach at Cadillac Ranch (www.cadranch.com) on TUESDAYS & FRIDAYS. Tuesday I’ll re-introduce COOL WHIP at 7:30 and present a new one, HOLLER BACK, at 8:30. Friday I’ll be teaching Drinking Beer, Cowgirl’s Twist, & Sleazy Slide. Doors open at 6 and we’ll start lessons & open dancing as soon as y’all get there! See you there!!
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the THOUSANDS who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/
dancewithjanet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new!
- Our next Warrenville dances are SATURDAY, December 5th (7-10 pm) AND SUNDAY, December 13th (6-9 pm), at the Warrenville Community Building, 3S240 Warren Ave. Saturday’s dance will be all lines ($5 cover includes 2 line dance lessons, at 7:30 & 8:30). Dance alternating sets of Couples and Lines at Sunday Nite Country (dinner served from 5:30 – 7). We’ll be playing holiday music all month along with your usual favorite songs!
- Thursday’s St. Charles class which usually meets at the Salvation Army moves to St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 101 S. 6th Ave. in St. Charles, for classes from 1 – 2:30 on 12/10, & 12/17. Enter from the parking lot between the church & the library and go upstairs into the gym. Then in January this class moves back to the Salvation Army but will meet on FRIDAYS from 10 – 11:15 am
- The Dance With Janet Cruise is SOLD OUT, and final payment is due by 12/7!! Call Harlan at 630-334-4646 if you’d still like to attend. He may be able to secure a cabin for you, but it will be at the going rate.
- Dance Lessons are now at the third price tier of $75
- Lessons & open dance schedule and other details can be found at www.dancewithjanet.com/
- We’ll be getting together on DECEMBER 6th from 3 – 7 pm at Karen & Keith’s home in Wheaton & JANUARY 16th from 3 – 6:30 at Bonnie’s home in Glen Ellyn for PRE-CRUISE PARTIES; save the dates!! We’ll all head over to dance at Warrenville after the party at Bonnie’s on January 16th. PLEASE BRING AN APPETIZER OR DESSERT DISH TO PASS, if possible.
- Book your airfare, select your travel insurance, make sure you have your hotel roommates arranged, and start packing!! We sail in LESS THAN 3 MONTHS!
- The next DANCE WORKSHOP (aka Boot Camp) is scheduled for MARCH 13. I’ll be teaching line dances, and Gary will be teaching couples classes. Mark your calendars!
I’ll see you on the dance floor…TONIGHT!