Meet Frank & Darlene, a couple who has been taking both private and group lessons with me for about a month. While Darlene has had some dance experience, Frank has not, and Frank has a lot of negative “You Cannot Possibly Do This” tapes playing in his head from his past. If you ever wonder how powerful your words are, stop wondering. Words last; they can be seared into our memories like they have been branded there with a hot iron, and they can sting for a lifetime. Take great care with what you say!
But I digress. Every time I think about Frank, I realize I have no excuse for whining about anything at all. He is a true dance trooper who is an incredible inspiration to me.
Frank has always wanted to dance, and always been told he’s the one without an ounce of musical talent; it all went to everyone else in his family. That was a tough pill for him to swallow for years, but he did. But now, he has decided he’s not going to believe what he was told anymore. He just made the decision to change, and acted on it. Even though it was hard to do.
With Darlene’s encouragement, Frank contacted me, and we’ve been working on line AND couples dancing (WOW!) every week – drilling steps and patterns over and over, as we all do. When Frank misses a step, I watch his face tighten up, as he hears those tapes play in his head. Then he gets That Determined Look on his face, and he says, “Again.” And we do it again. And again. And so it goes.
This past Sunday Frank & Darlene attended their first dance at Sunday Nite Country in Warrenville, and guess what? FRANK DANCED all the line dances he learned (Darlene did too)!! In public!! And WELL!!! I was pretty excited, and extremely proud of him…I might have even teared up. Look how ecstatic they were after those dances were over! I have never seen such a delighted man, and with good reason!! HE DID IT…and we can too!! We can ALL face our fears and ACT THROUGH THEM, and bask in the success on the other side.
Have you seen the video of Frank & Darlene dancing with the group at Sunday Nite Country yet? You can find it on the Dance With Janet Facebook page, facebook.com/
Just a few Dance Details:
- CRUISE EARLY BIRD DANCE LESSONS ARE ONLY $55 THRU SEPTEMBER 30 –TODAY – take advantage of the reduced cost before the price increases TOMORROW on October 1st! See www.dancewithjanet.com/
cruise2016; it’s the bright pink button on the left. And ONLY 2 MORE ROOMS ARE AVAILABLE in our room block!!! Ocean view cabins are no longer available.
- NO LESSONS THIS THURSDAY, OCTOBER 1st, EXCEPT the class meeting at the St. Charles Salvation Army, due to the Windy City Line Dance Mania convention
- Windy City Line Dance Mania will be held at the Crowne Plaza Resort in Rosemont October 1 – 4. If you would like to join Chicagoland’s biggest line dance party, registration forms can be found at www.countryedge.com. Please note you are with the Dance With Janet group to qualify for the 4 day group rate. Bring your dance shoes, DWJ shirt, and a sweatshirt (it’s COLD in those rooms) and a dish to pass (and $10/person for included meals within our group, courtesy of Tall Liz, whatta gal!)
- I’m teaching at Cadillac Ranch (www.cadranch.com) on Tuesdays & Fridays. This Friday I’ll present Drinkin’ Beer, Make Me Wanna, & Mamma Maria (at 6:30, 7:30, & 8:30, respectively)
- Our next SUNDAY NITE COUNTRY is October 11th at the Warrenville Community Building, 3S240 Warren Ave., from 6 – 9 (dinner served from 5:30 – 7). Dance alternating sets of Couples and Lines on a wood floor a la the Sunday Stampede!
- We meet again for our OPEN LINE DANCE PARTY on October 17th, also at the Warrenville Community Building, from 7 – 10 pm
- Online lessons are scheduled to be revamped; the subscription fee will soon be per level of Beginner 1, Beginner 2, Intermediate 1, or Intermediate 2 (instead of Beginner or Intermediate). Grab them while you can before the change goes into effect at www.dancewithjanet.com/
See you on the dance floor!