Yesterday I visited Betsy’s John (John Mathe, seated on the scooter in front), who has been diagnosed with inoperable stage 4 colon cancer. I know quite a few of you know him, as he’s been dancing for many years, so I am bringing you news about him. John is now (and will remain) at Meadowbrook Manor Nursing Home, 720 Raymond Drive in Naperville; if you’d like to say your goodbyes to him, now is the time. He is still aware of things but is weakening. Lady Di, Chris, and I spent last New Year’s Eve with John and Betsy at the Magic Kingdom in Orlando during the trip there for the Country Cruisers’ dance competition. We had a WONDERFUL day, the memories of which I will especially treasure now. Did you know that if you are in a scooter, Disney allows you and your party to go to the handicapped entrance of every ride? Talk about Guest Service!! We joked all day that we saw every attraction in the whole park, because we never waited for anything.
I met John on the dance floor through Betsy, but really met him through the Cadillac Ranch Dance Team. He accompanied Betsy on most team outings in 2013 & 2014, and drove for us in our first parade on the day after Thanksgiving in 2013. He is a kind and gentle man who was always supportive and genuine in his conversations, and truly “made” all our trips with his positive demeanor. He never had a negative word to say about anyone, and could always diffuse tension in situations – and there definitely were some! It’s hard to not have any conflict at all with 6 – 20 people together for extended amounts of time. I valued his wise counsel on more than one occasion. I don’t want to speak of him in the past tense, as he is still with us, but the cancer has advanced to the degree that our time with him will be short, and he will not dance again. Our loss will be heaven’s gain. He treasures visitors, especially those he met on the dance floor. If you can spare a half hour for a few words with him, it certainly would comfort him – and you.
Cards or emails may be sent to John c/o Betsy Maaks, 858 Cherry Blossom Lane, Naperville, IL 60540, email@example.com, 630-853-7359
I have a few other updates, as well…
- I teach at Cadillac Ranch (www.cadranch.com) on TUESDAYS & FRIDAYS. Friday I’ll be teaching DOUBLE D, RUMCHACHA, & AH SI (at 6:30, 7:30, & 8:30, respectively). Tuesday I’ll re-introduce LICK MY LIPS at 7:30 and present a new one, EMPTY POCKETS, at 8:30 – see you there!!
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the THOUSANDS who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/
dancewithjanet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new!
- It’s a DOUBLE HEADER WEEEND! We’ll dance SATURDAY, November 7th (7-10 pm) AND SUNDAY, November 8th (6-9 pm), at the Warrenville Community Building, 3S240 Warren Ave. Saturday’s dance will be all lines ($5 cover includes lessons of EMPTY POCKETS at 7:30 & CLICHE BABY at 8:30). Dance alternating sets of Couples and Lines at Sunday Nite Country (dinner served from 5:30 – 7)
- BOOT CAMP is fast approaching in Warrenville on NOVEMBER 8th from 3 – 5:15 beforeSunday Nite Country. Have you wanted to take lessons from me but been unable to commit to a six week session? Now’s your chance; I’ll be teaching 2 hours of line dancing. Gary will be teaching couples dances (East Coast Swing & Double Two)
- Two performances are scheduled: We’ll dance at Two Way Street Coffeehouse onSaturday, November 7 from 2-3 pm (please wear your Dance With Janet shirts), and on Saturday, December 5th at 1 pm we’ll dance CLICHE LOVE SONG in the Warrenville Christmas Show (black bottoms and solid tops in one of these colors: green, red, black, white, or blue). Check the main purple calendar for the details at www.dancewithjanet.com/calendar
- The Dance With Janet Cruise is SOLD OUT!! People from EIGHT states (Arizona, Wisconsin, Minnesota, New York, Iowa, Michigan, Texas, & of course Illinois) will be vacationing and dancing together – SUPER EXCITING!! All the group-rate cabins are booked and we cannot get any more at that rate. Call Harlan at 630-334-4646 if you’d still like to attend. He may be able to secure a cabin for you, but it will be at the going rate. Dance Lessons are now at the second price tier of $65 for the entire week (the lessons & open dance schedule and other details can be found at www.dancewithjanet.com/
cruise2016). This second Early Bird rate EXPIRES NOVEMBER 30th.
See you on the dance floor!