I’m still flabbergasted at how negative the news coverage is in the media. Every detail of horrible events must be laid bare, and we never hear a word about anything inspiring that occurs. I find it hard to believe that nothing good happens in the world. Why must we focus on the tragedies? How about being kind to each other, and focusing on that?
Not every person is going to like everyone. That’s so obvious I wouldn’t insult your intelligence by suggesting it could be otherwise. But if you don’t like someone – don’t “hang out” with them! We can AND SHOULD still be cordial to them, even if they are not in our circle of friends. That’s called MATURITY. Each person is entitled to their opinions, whether in the areas of religion, sexual preference, or political leanings – or anything else! WE’RE ALL INDIVIDUALS, with separate and unique thoughts and feelings. Live and let live, all!
As far as media coverage, scandal sells. Conflict breeds adrenaline, to which our country is addicted. It’s unfortunate, but true – look at the movies being produced. We become what we are exposed to…we are conditioned to fights, so it’s not a surprise to see so many. It is therefore a reasonable outcome to see arguments, murders, and other crimes presented to us in the media. I just see it as a shame, because it perpetuates the cycle. We CAN stop it, though – by our courteous behavior to each other. Even if it is difficult – it’s the RIGHT thing to do!
Ready to start? Join me TOMORROW as we dance from 7 – 10 at the Elgin VFW Post 1307. I’ll be teaching dances to Keith Urban’s new song, WASTED TIME, as well as Shakira’s TRY EVERYTHING!! Additionally, Bonnie is opening her home to us for another PRE-CRUISE PARTY on August 28th, from 2 – 6 pm. Let’s have FUN being KIND!
- Dances are on the 2nd and 4th Fridays at the West Chicago VFW 6791 through the end of August, effective immediately. THE NEXT DANCE IS JULY 22nd. We have a floor for line dancing and a separate floor for couples at this hall. If anyone would like to show up early to help take down tables, that would be much appreciated! Pizzas are available for $5.50 – $6.50.
- Every 1st & 3rd Tuesday we’ll dance at the Wheaton VFW Post 2164. The vets are offering hot dogs & chips for $2 as well as $8 pizzas
- Every 2nd & 4th Tuesday we’ll dance at the Elgin VFW Post 1307
- SALE!! ALL DVD’s are 25% off through the end of August at any dances I host. Yes, I accept credit cards!
- Our next Warrenville Dances are SATURDAY, July 16th (7-10 pm, our only Saturday dance in Warrenville in July) & SUNDAY, July 24th (6-9 pm) at the Warrenville Community Building, 3S240 Warren Ave. Saturday’sDance includes 2 line dance lessons, at 7:30 & 8:30; you’re welcome to bring snacks ($5 cover). Dance alternating sets of Couples and Lines at Sunday Nite Country following the format of the former Sunday Stampede on the 12th (dance, dinner, & beverage for $10; dinner served from 5:30 – 7). Boot Camp in July has been cancelled; the next Boot Camp will be August 14th. No outside beverages; please support the Park District by purchasing water or pop for $1 each
- Upcoming Performances – Turtle Splash Pool in West Chicago 8/27, Septemberfest Parade in Schaumburg 9/5, & Art On The Prairie in Warrenville 9/18. See www.dancewithjanet.com/ calendar for exact locations, times, and song lists. Wear your DWJ shirt and blue denim bottoms, and LET’S DANCE for all the world to see!
- Videos & Step Sheets of dances I’ve taught at ALL dances (Tuesdays, Fridays, & Saturdays) can be found on the Upcoming Events tab of my website. If you missed a dance and want to know what was taught, visit www.dancewithjanet.com/ calendar and go to the exact dance event to find out.
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the OVER 10,000 who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/dancewithjanet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page, as well as the PHOTOS tab of my website
- CLASS CHANGES:
- Warrenville’s Tuesday Beginner 1 class has resumed
- ALL Wheaton Wednesday evening classes (Beginner 2, Intermediate 1, and Intermediate 2) WILL MEET 7/13; Courtney, Bonnie, & Peggy will lead practice classes
- A BRAND NEW BEGINNER DROP-IN CLASS debuts 9/13 on the 2nd & 4th Tuesdays, preceding the Elgin dance. Class will run from 4:30 – 5:45 at the Izaak Walton Center, 899 Jay Street in Elgin ($7)
- AND…The 3rd Annual Dance With Janet CRUISE is preparing to sail! ALL fees paid are fully refundable until 11/20/16. Published rates are for two people per cabin; if you need a roommate, please let me know and I’ll match you up with someone FABULOUS within the dance community, as quite a few people are traveling alone. Get the full scoop at www.dancewithjanet.com/ cruise2017
- OUR NEXT PRE-CRUISE PARTY IS SUNDAY, 8/28 from 2 – 6 pm at Bonnie’s house. Save the date!
See you on the dance floor