Life is hard. Challenges abound; sometimes it feels like we get hammered constantly, with no time to breathe and regroup. Complaints spill from our lips about our problems. But do we make things worse with our whining? We definitely set the tone in our homes and work with our attitudes. It starts at the top – with US, as leaders of our lives and families – and since “like breeds like“, what we project will be reflected in the people around us. Those we influence will be “mini-me’s”. Our co-workers, friends, and loved ones may be crabby, argumentative, and tense. If so, is that what we see IN OURSELVES?
One person CAN make a difference. Look at history for examples; they are countless. And WE can make a difference in our surroundings. We can create uplifting environments, where we encourage those around us and choose positive acts, and our associates will be smiling and secure. We all know people who are like this; not only do we want to be around them, but we feel better about ourselves when we are. The other side of the coin is where we cut people down and talk about the negative things in our lives, of which there are admittedly many…and where does that get us? Crabby, insecure, often destructive children, friends, and family. Is it worth indulging that icky side of ourselves?
We are all leaders in our own surroundings, as we lead our own lives. We get to choose how we will act. Make the right choice, every day, multiple times a day! Each curve ball that life throws us offers us an option.
I heard these lyrics on the radio this morning: “Why sit around and wait for a miracle to come, when you can be one?”
- I teach at Cadillac Ranch (www.cadranch.com) on TUESDAYS & FRIDAYS. TONIGHT, TUESDAY 2/9, I’ll be teaching DOUBLE D at 7:30 & IN THE BASEMENT at 8:30. FRIDAY, 2/12, lessons will be RED WAGON, LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD, & COTTON EYED JOE. Doors open at 7 and we’ll start lessons at 7:30, with a $3 cover charge. Cadillac Ranch is no longer presenting live bands on Fridays. See you there!!
- Our next Warrenville Dances are SUNDAY, February 14th – VALENTINE’S DAY!! – (6-9 pm) & SATURDAY, March 5th (7-10 pm), at the Warrenville Community Building, 3S240 Warren Ave. Dance alternating sets of Couples and Lines at Sunday Nite Country on the 14th ($5 admission; dinner served from 5:30 – 7 for an additional $5). Saturday’s dance will be all lines; couples are always welcome to dance around the perimeter ($5 cover includes 2 line dance lessons, at 7:30 & 8:30; you’re welcome to bring snacks).
- Monday’s Hanover Park class will not meet on February 15th
- A new session of classes begins NEXT WEEK, starting on 2/15. Learn those dances we do three nights a week! Choose your level (Beginner 1 or 2, Intermediate 1 or 2) and your location (Wheaton, Carol Stream, Warrenville, or St. Charles) at www.dancewithjanet.com/teachingschedule
- Warrenville’s Saturday 5 pm class will meet for the last time on 4/9/16. If you have any unused punches on your punch card, please use them up before then, as this class at this time will no longer be offered after 4/9
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the THOUSANDS who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/
dancewithjanet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page.
- The Dance With Janet Cruise is SOLD OUT. Call Harlan at 630-334-4646 if you’d still like to attend. He may be able to secure a cabin for you, but it will be at the going rate. I’ll announce next year’s cruise in March; if you are not attending this year, join the fun in 2017!!
- Special parking rates at Midway can be found at www.parkrideflyusa.com (AAA members receive an extra 10% off with coupon code AAA10, with their membership number)
- During the week of the cruise (2/19 – 2/27), NONE OF MY CLASSES WILL MEET, and my daughter Kat will teach for me at Cadillac Ranch. Classes will resume 2/29
- Swing ‘n’ Country is presenting DANCE CAMP CHICAGO 2/26 – 2/28, a couples dance convention featuring workshops, competition, social dancing, and SHOES (no admission ticket required to shop). Details can be found at www.dancecampchicago.com
- The next DANCE WORKSHOP (aka Boot Camp) is scheduled for MARCH 13. I’ll be teaching line dances, and Gary will be teaching couples classes. Mark your calendars!
See you on the dance floor!