I realize I steer clear of life's catastrophes, politics, and all-in-all unjust episodes – basically most of the topics in the media. I do this intentionally, as we are people, and people will do rotten things. It's easier to be naughty than well-behaved…and overall, we take the easy way out. All the horrible things that people can and actually do to each other are blasted across the headlines and into our consciousnesses on a daily, sometimes hourly basis. Why? It's sensationalism, which sells. Why does it sell? Is it helpful, edifying, or does it in ANY way contribute to our becoming BETTER people?
Police beating blacks…husbands murdering wives…a president-elect who is just a little bit different from all his predecessors. YES, we have our problems. But what are we doing about them on an individual basis? Because in the end all we can control and change is OURSELVES. Focusing on crimes puts that behavior in the forefront of our minds. I would much rather center my attention on self-improvement and amusing videos, stories, recipes, etc., which produce positive, constructive attitudes than get sucked into a circular, never-ending cycle of complaining and debating the problems of today. There's a LOT of that on social media – that's why I don't participate. I find the discussions depressing and divisive. They alienate and discourage people, and I'd rather focus on how to improve our lives.
YOU do what's right for YOU. It's ok!! Right or wrong, my choice is to "abstain…courteously". And now you know why!
Have a great weekend!
- TONIGHT'S Saturday dance in Warrenville has been CANCELLED due to the winter storm predicted. Stay in and stay safe!
- I miss you and am feeling better…and so will be returning THIS TUESDAY at the WHEATON VFW DANCE from 7-10 pm. Won't you join me for a Christmas party? My daughter Kate will be teaching a phrased intermediate dance, CRICKET ON A LINE, at 8:15. If you'd like to bring some goodies, feel free (did you hear that, Dan's Jane? Boy can that woman bake!!!) – it is the holiday season, after all. Jeff will be playing Christmas songs, and I'll be there to watch you dance and talk with you all. I can't wait!!!!!
- We’ll no longer be dancing at the West Chicago VFW; the 12/23 dance has been CANCELLED. Visit the Upcoming Events for a full list of dance venues
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the almost 16,000 fans who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/
dancewithjanet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page, as well as the PHOTOS tab of my website
- CLASS CHANGES:
- The BEGINNER DROP-IN CLASS at the Izaak Walton Center (899 Jay Street in Elgin, $7) has wrapped for the year. I’ll resume it on JANUARY 10th, 2017
- The “brain cramper” intermediate line dance lessons BEFORE the dances on Tuesday are on hiatus and will resume JANUARY 10th, 2017
- Thursday's "Attic" class which meets at the Wheaton VFW will meet with Courtney to practice dances on 12/29 & 1/5. I will resume teaching it on JANUARY 12th, 2017
- Friday morning’s St. Charles class is on break for Christmas. Class will resume JANUARY 6th, 2017 back at the Salvation Army
- I had a hysterectomy on 12/5 and so will not be dancing UNTIL JANUARY 9th as I recover. Scheduled dances will continue as planned; my daughter Kate will be substitute teaching for me as she is able. I’ll be back starting 12/20 and will still call dances as needed; no way can I not see you all till January! Life is just less physically active for me during this time; I'm feeling much better.