Each of us was made longing for a place to belong. You hear it every day on the radio (we’re “looking for love in all the wrong places”) and see it on television constantly. The desire to be part of a group and to matter to others is evident EVERYWHERE…and it’s up to us to find our niche; to satisfy that craving.
Nowhere have I seen that problem solved better than within the dance community.
Whether it’s couples dancing at West Coast Swing dance conventions, dancing regularly at the same bar, or being part of the Dance With Janet line dance community of classes and open dances, people feel safe and secure – and loved! – when dancing. REAL people dance! Somehow it’s a safe environment where we set aside our problems and RELAX. When jamming to the music, I’ve heard people say, “I’m visiting my ‘happy place’!” It’s a time to socialize and share new experiences. If we want to go somewhere, we don’t have to go alone! We always have someone to call for company. When we are dancers, we are truly into SOMETHING GOOD.
Would you like to see what I’m talking about? Try a class, go to a dance, or come to an outdoor festival for a concert! Tonight the Dance With Janet group will be line dancing at Elgin Ribfest, where Hillbilly Rockstarz and Libido Funk Circus will alternate sets from 7 – 11 pm. The music, company, food, and atmosphere will all be GOOD, CLEAN FUN! What should you expect? At each song, I may start a line dance, or someone else might – and whichever dance gets started and picked up on is the winning dance. Dancing at live concerts is a little different than dancing to songs played by a DJ, as the dance is not announced. Different songs will be played than you may be used to, but you’ll be dancing more of the standard dances, which most dancers know. Tonight you’ll dance at least these dances – and very possibly, more than once:
- Charleston Cowboy
- Cut A Rug
- Mamma Maria
- Tush Push
- Watermelon Crawl
- County Line Cha Cha
- Redneck Angel
- Brown Chicken, Brown Cow
- Canadian Stomp
- Ex’s & Oh’s
- Sunshine & Whiskey
- My T-Shirt
- Ah Si
- Boot Scootin’ Boogie
- Uptown Funky
- Lindi Shuffle
- Drink In My Hand
- Make Me Wanna
- Rockin’ The Wagon Wheel
- Country Shakin’
- Cowgirl’s Twist
Dancing to live music at festivals is a whole new ball game, and if you haven’t tried it yet, I encourage you to do so! Just bring bug spray and earplugs. It’s another side of the dance coin and worth experiencing! We’ll do this again next weekend at Downers Grove Rotary Fest after our performance there, and quite a few more times this season. It’s going to be an unforgettable summer! And it will be GOOD!!
- Dance With Janet at our next BRIDGE Dance from 7 – 10 pm in Wheaton where I usually teach classes, 208 W. Union, NEXT FRIDAY 6/23, geared especially for BEGINNERS! Beginner 1 lessons will be offered from 7 – 7:45, and open dancing follows (with Beginner 1 dances till 8:45). Visit the Upcoming Events page of my website for a full list of where to Dance With Janet. I host up to 3 dances per week, so you have plenty of opportunities!
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the OVER 21,000 fans who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/dancewithj
anet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page, as well as the PHOTOS tab of my website
- “Brain cramper” intermediate line dance lessons are offered BEFORE the dances on Tuesday for an extra $3. I’ll be teaching MOM THE BOMB this Tuesday, 6/20, and CHILL FACTOR on 6/27
- I teach about 15 classes in person, per week; take your pick! Choose a level most comfortable for you (Beginner 1 or 2 or Intermediate 1 or 2) and a location near you at www.dancewithjanet.com/teac
- Our next trip, the 4th Annual Dance With Janet Cruise, we’ll be joining local Chicago bands 7th HEAVEN, HILLBILLY ROCKSTARZ, & SEALED WITH A KISS on the Allure of the Seas from 1/21/18 – 1/28/18. Book your cabin through www. chicagomusiccruise.com. You must list NTD Vacations, 847-774-8677, paule
firstname.lastname@example.org as your travel agent if you go through the Royal Caribbean website. Please select the 5:30 dining time, if it’s an option. All of us meeting together for dinner is crucial to feeling connected with the group. Save AUGUST 26th from 2 – 6 pm for our PRE-CRUISE Party, where we get to meet each other before we sail, and iron out the vacation details
- Looking to start your own dance group? I’m debuting a new program of instructor training. More info will be coming soon; take a look at when it’s available at www.dancewithjanet.com/
- UPCOMING PERFORMANCE: Double header of the Swedish Days Parade and Downers Grove Rotary Fest (two DIFFERENT performance sets; see the red performance calendar at www.dancewithjanet.com/
calendar for details) on SUNDAY JUNE 25th
See you on the dance floor – you are loved!!