On February 11th, I woke up and began to prepare for John & Charisse’s wedding. And then, life changed. Last week I realized I somehow lost a month – did you miss me?? I apologize for being away for so long…but I’m back!
The few days between the wedding and leaving for the 3rd Annual Dance With Janet Cruise passed in a blur. Between packing, solidifying cruise details, teaching, and talking with a man I met at Charisse’s wedding, I was in Florida and then on the ship before I knew it.
About 100 of us took a 10-day vacation together in the Eastern Caribbean, and we had a BLAST!! We swam in the ocean at beach after beach, beginning with the crystal clear waters of Labadee, Haiti. Some of us rode the zip line there across the water – MIND-BOGGLING!!! We watched the airplanes sweep tourists off their feet at Moho Beach in St. Maarten. We took bus tours and saw the sights of San Juan & St. Kitts. And…WE DANCED. Every day we danced, in every place on the ship where we could – in lounges, the ice skating rink, the conference room, the deck, and the fitness room. We had 5 instructors teach 18 lessons, and had open dances in excess of 23 hours…BOY, did we dance!! And we kept ourselves busy in other ways on the ship by eating, watching movies on the deck, eating, swimming in the pools, eating, chilling in the whirlpools, eating, rock climbing, eating, playing miniature golf, eating, ice skating, eating, attending Broadway-quality shows, eating, and surfing. Did I mention eating? The only thing in more abundance on a cruise ship than water is FOOD. It’s no wonder a some of us got sick after the cruise…that vacation was a lot of work!! I felt busier than if I’d been home that week!!
What was one of the most amusing things that happened on the cruise, you ask? John & Charisse attended the Love & Marriage game show, and of course were chosen to participate, as they’d only been married 10 days (the other two couples had been married 10 and 60 years). It was like The Newlywed Game of old: a host asks each couple (separately) embarrassing, personal questions about their relationship. These questions are asked to only one of the couple, and then asked of the other in the presence of the first one to see if their answers match. Of course John & Charisse became instant celebrities, as the replay of the game show was shown on the in-cabin TV’s throughout the course of the cruise. Make sure to ask them how they enjoyed their week of fame when you see them next!
Next year for the 4th Annual Dance With Janet Cruise, we’ll be joining local Chicago bands 7TH HEAVEN, HILLBILLY ROCKSTARZ, & SEALED WITH A KISS. We’ll be teaching a lot of beginner-level line dances that can be danced to the bands’ songs, as well as couples dances (Two Step, Double Two, & West Coast Swing). Confirmed returning instructors include the incredible Julie Hein, my beautiful daughter Kat Warner, and myself, and this year I’m pleased to introduce West Coast Swing instructor Andrew Sinclair from Orlando, FL. Please join us! Follow these tips:
- Book your cabin through www.royalcaribbean.com
, or www.chicagomusiccruise.com, or www.chicagomusiccruise.com/ book.html
- Our cruise is on the Allure of the Seas from January 21st – January 28th, 2018
- List NTD Vacations, 847-551-5363, firstname.lastname@example.org as your travel agent if you go through the Royal Caribbean website
- Please select the 5:30 dining time, if it’s an option. All of us meeting together for dinner is crucial to feeling connected with the group
The weekend after the cruise, I attended a dance convention in Ft. Wayne, IN. I’m so excited to bring you more NEW line dances!! These choreographers are simply UNBELIEVABLY talented! I’ve selected about 10 new dances which I think you’ll all like from the dozens which were presented…no easy task, let me tell you!! You’ll see them in the upcoming months, as well as the dances which were taught on this past cruise.
And now, I’m home sick, as all this bustling about has worn me out. My assistant Courtney bravely subbed and taught the last three classes for me, as it was better than me coughing uncontrollably on all of you. Ah, well!! It won’t last forever. I’ll see you back in classes on Monday!
Oh, and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- A BRAND-NEW Beginner class is scheduled to begin at the Warrenville Park District at 7:30 on Thursday evenings on MARCH 30th. Wait no longer to learn how to line dance; click on the link to register!!
- Tuesday dances have been solidified. We’ll be dancing at the Wheaton VFW every Tuesday EXCEPT the fourth one. On the FOURTH TUESDAY ONLY we will dance at the West Chicago American Legion
- Our LAST Saturday Warrenville dance will be on APRIL 1st. Please come wave goodbye to this lovely wood floor and enjoy one final evening of line dances on a Saturday!
- Visit the Upcoming Events page of my website for a full list of where to Dance With Janet. I host up to 3 dances per week, so you have plenty of opportunities!
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the OVER 19,000 fans who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/dancewithj
anet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page, as well as the PHOTOS tab of my website
- The BEGINNER DROP-IN CLASS at the Izaak Walton Center (899 Jay Street in Elgin) will NO LONGER MEET.
- “Brain cramper” intermediate line dance lessons are offered BEFORE the dances on Tuesday for an extra $3. I’ll be teaching SHEBANGS on 3/21, and AMERICAN POP 3/28.
- I teach about 15 classes per week; we are halfway through the current session. The next six-week session of classes begins the week of April 10th. Choose your level and your location at www.dancewithjanet.com/teac
Have an OUTSTANDING day! You are loved!