My grandmother – Gram – will be 98 in 3 months. She is still recovering from a fall on the 4th of July where she broke her upper arm. She’s healing, but 97-year old bones just don’t mend like they used to. She was told she will not be able to return to her independent living room, and will be in assisted living for the rest of her life. We’ve had to clean out her room and re-home her furniture…which as you know, is emotionally painful. While we were doing so, I asked her how she was doing; if she was comfortable. She laughed in my face, sage that she is, and said, “No, I’m not comfortable. Whoever said we would be COMFORTABLE in life?”
She’s got me there. As much as we rush around from one thing to the next to make us happy, the bottom line is that we don’t live in a perfect world, and we won’t be comfortable. Are you? Best we deal with the hand life has dealt us, and sometimes make lemonade out of lemons. Like the saying goes:
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”
I’ve learned so much from Gram about dealing with life’s disappointments. Her favorite saying? “So much for that.” Whether it’s living where we want to live, staying in the situations we prefer, or any other thing we want – take your pick; we need to accept that we won’t always get our hearts’ desire, and we won’t always be comfortable. But we can be CONTENT anyway, in the acceptance of reality. And we can still pursue our interests and hobbies. So, let’s!!
See you on the dance floor TONIGHT at the Geneva American Legion Post 75!
- BEGINNING FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 2nd (TONIGHT), we’ll be returning to the Geneva American Legion Post 75 on the 1st & 3rd Fridays (as well as the 5th Friday this month, 9/30). I’m also adding a dance EVERY THURSDAY at the Wheaton VFW BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 8th – and you’ve heard about KINFORK BBQ in Woodfield Mall? We’ll dance at Kinfork on the third Sunday of the month, starting SEPTEMBER 18th. Visit the Upcoming Events for a full list of dance venues
- Dancing at the West Chicago VFW has been CANCELLED for 9/9/ ONLY
- The next Warrenville Line Dance Workshop is SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 13th, from 3 – 5:15
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the OVER 13,000 fans who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/
dancewithjanet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page, as well as the PHOTOS tab of my website
- CLASS CHANGES:
- A BRAND NEW BEGINNER DROP-IN CLASS debuts 9/13 on the 2nd & 4th Tuesdays, preceding the Elgin dance. Class will run from 4:30 – 5:45 at the Izaak Walton Center, 899 Jay Street in Elgin ($7)
- I’ll be teaching a difficult intermediate line dance lesson BEFORE the dances on Tuesdays from now on for an extra $3. I’ll teach CHILL FACTOR at the Wheaton VFW on 9/6 & at the Elgin VFW on 9/13, and the next two Tuesdays I’ll teach AMERICAN POP
- AND…The 3rd Annual Dance With Janet CRUISE is preparing to sail! ALL fees paid are fully refundable until 11/20/16; book before 10/10 to take advantage of the group rate, which can’t be matched ANYWHERE. Published rates are for two people per cabin; if you need a roommate, please let me know and I’ll match you up with someone FABULOUS within the dance community, as quite a few people are traveling alone. Get the full scoop at www.dancewithjanet.com/