I love to learn. I was one of the strange young ones that looked forward to school because I was fascinated with the new information presented to me. Learning through change has never frightened me, but has intrigued me, as it has been the spice of life. I don't like to be bored, so I can always find something to learn. That thought has generated specific reflections…on one topic in particular which I'd like to share.
After spending my whole adult life married, I've had to face being alone for the last few years. It was scary; I was afraid to be by myself. Yet really, aren't we always alone? We are the ones we are always with. We see ourselves in the mirror, talk to ourselves, drive ourselves around, do things for ourselves, and shop for ourselves. Yet when we are with someone, we can escape the reality of our own company. Spending time with myself was what was really what worried me. Before my divorce, I was a pro at keeping busy and distracted to keep myself at bay from myself. I did NOT want to be alone, so I made sure I was not.
But as time has passed, I have learned to like AND ENJOY my own company. I ate myself there, as I gained almost 35 pounds grieving my losses. Naughty naughty! So now that I feel comfortable with myself between my ears, I'm ready to lose the physical garbage, and I will. Nothing like cleaning up your act mentally to prepare yourself for doing the same physically!
Has anyone else traveled the same road? I'll bet quite a few have. I encourage you continue, and not take an easy detour. Face yourself, deal with your garbage, and accept who you are, warts and all. Learn to LIKE yourself! YOU ARE A VALUABLE PERSON WITH FAULTS – we all are!! Look at life as an adventure to be lived – not only though its activities, but through the lessons you can learn as you live.
Feel free to leave your comments here and let me know your thoughts and experiences! It's always encouraging to share.
By the way, is anyone available at 6 ish to help set up for tonight's dance? My normal helper is on vacation. If you could spare some time and energy, that would be great. If you can't, come dance anyway at 7!
- Dances are on the 2nd and 4th Fridays at the West Chicago VFW 6791 through the end of August. Enjoy a floor for line dancing and a separate floor for couples here. If anyone would like to show up early to help take down tables, that would be much appreciated! (ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I'LL BE ALONE SETTING UP TONIGHT). Pizzas are available for $5.50 – $6.50
- Every 1st & 3rd Tuesday we’ll dance at the Wheaton VFW Post 2164. Hot dogs & chips are offered for $2 as well as $8 pizzas
- Every 2nd & 4th Tuesday we’ll dance at the Elgin VFW Post 1307. Grab a pizza for dinner for $6.50
- New classes are beginning! Visit www.dancewithjanet.com/
teachingschedule for class details
- SALE!! ALL DVD’s are 25% off through the end of August at any dances I host. Yes, I accept credit cards!
- Our next Warrenville Dances are SATURDAY, August 20th (7-10 pm, our only Saturday dance in Warrenville in August) & SUNDAY, July 24th (6-9 pm) at the Warrenville Community Building, 3S240 Warren Ave. Saturday’sDance includes 2 line dance lessons, at 7:30 & 8:30; you’re welcome to bring snacks ($5 cover). Dance alternating sets of Couples and Lines at Sunday Nite Country following the format of the former Sunday Stampede on the 12th (dance, dinner, & beverage for $10; dinner served from 5:30 – 7). Boot Camp in July has been cancelled; the next Boot Camp will be August 14th. No outside beverages; please support the Park District by purchasing water or pop for $1 each
- Upcoming Performances – Turtle Splash Pool in West Chicago 8/27, Septemberfest Parade in Schaumburg 9/5, & Art On The Prairie in Warrenville 9/18. See www.dancewithjanet.com/ calendar for exact locations, times, and song lists. Wear your DWJ shirt and blue denim bottoms, and LET’S DANCE for all the world to see!
- Videos & Step Sheets of dances I’ve taught at ALL dances (Tuesdays, Fridays, & Saturdays) can be found on the Upcoming Events tab of my website. If you missed a dance and want to know what was taught, visit www.dancewithjanet.com/ calendar and go to the exact dance event to find out.
- Have you “LIKED” my Dance With Janet Facebook page, along with the OVER 10,000 fans who have? Pop on over to www.facebook.com/dancewithj
anet and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new! All the photos from dances are posted to my Facebook page, as well as the PHOTOS tab of my website
- CLASS CHANGES:
- Warrenville’s Tuesday Beginner 1 class has resumed
- TODAY's Friday's St. Charles morning class WILL NOT MEET; we resume 7/29
- A BRAND NEW BEGINNER DROP-IN CLASS debuts 9/13 on the 2nd & 4th Tuesdays, preceding the Elgin dance. Class will run from 4:30 – 5:45 at the Izaak Walton Center, 899 Jay Street in Elgin ($7)
- A DANCE CONVENTION is coming to town TODAY where you can try on and buy DANCE SHOES!! It's the Taste Of Windy City Line Dance Mania from July 22nd – 23rd, 2016 in Rosemont, IL – for details, visit website
- Planning on joining me for the BIG DADDY LINE DANCE CONVENTION, Windy City Line Dance Mania, from October 6th – 9th, 2016 in Rosemont, IL. I'll be submitting the group registration where we'll all save a few $$ on AUGUST 1st. If you prefer to register online, choose the 4 day group pass and say you're with the Dance With Janet group. For details, visit website
- AND…The 3rd Annual Dance With Janet CRUISE is preparing to sail! ALL fees paid are fully refundable until11/20/16. Published rates are for two people per cabin; if you need a roommate, please let me know and I’ll match you up with someone FABULOUS within the dance community, as quite a few people are traveling alone. Get the full scoop at www.dancewithjanet.com/ cruise2017
- OUR NEXT PRE-CRUISE PARTY IS SUNDAY, 8/28 from 2 – 6 pm at Bonnie’s house. Save the date!
See you on the dance floor!